PrEP Implementation, Planning, Monitoring, and Evaluation Tool (PrEP-it)
Governments, donors, and other stakeholders in countries at the forefront of oral pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) delivery have encountered several programmatic challenges, such as difficulty in setting targets, tracking the continuum of PrEP delivery, and estimating program costs and impact. In response, through USAID’s Optimizing Prevention Technology Introduction on Schedule (OPTIONS) Consortium, Health Policy Plus (HP+) project, and Efficiency and Accountability Technical Assistance to Partners II (EATAP-II) project, PEPFAR has developed a Microsoft Excel-based tool called PrEP-it for oral PrEP implementation planning, monitoring, and evaluation.
PrEP-it has six main functions:
- Assist with assessing sites’ service delivery capacity and identifying site-level bottlenecks for oral PrEP delivery
- Assist with program monitoring by tracking monthly PrEP initiation and continuation rates
- Help with national or subnational target-setting, allowing users to generate and analyze numerical targets based on population-based coverage or service delivery capacity
- Assist with estimating program costs based on targets or program implementation
- Examine a program’s projected impact (number of HIV infections averted) based on targets or the program’s past results
- Project ARV supply needs based on past implementation or future targets
PrEP-it will be valuable to users at the national level down to the individual site level. For example, national planners may wish to use PrEP-it to set national targets and estimate the corresponding costs and impact, whereas a program implementer or site manager may want to focus on the tool’s capacity assessment and program monitoring functions.